To reduce Infant Mortality in Columbus and Indiana, Meridian Kiwanis is partnering with Riley Hospital for Children, March of Dimes, and Columbus Regional Health’s Infant Mortality Prevention Team.
Coolest Pet Contest – FAQ’s
What are we doing?
- This Kiwanis sponsored contest raises money by voting ($1 per vote) for the Coolest Dog or Cat in Columbus.
Why are we doing this?
- 600 babies in Indiana die before their first birthday each year.
- Indiana’s infant mortality rate is among the highest in the nation.
- Mortality rate comparable to a third world country
- Many of these deaths are preventable. We cannot wait to act when babies’ lives are at stake.
How will the money be used?
- March of Dimes:
- Implement a newly developed blood test which predicts premature birth. This will allow lifesaving intervention.
- Riley Children’s Foundation:
- Create a new Riley Fetal Center with a goal of saving 137 babies per year by reducing Indiana’s fetal mortality to the national average.
- Healthy Communities Infant Mortality Prevention Team
- Support a Baby Fair this fall to screen for risk factors, provide education and support healthy choices